Saturday 6 October 2007

Newbery Uzi C6+




Newbery Uzi C6+
2lb 12oz
Carbon handle
SH

Newbery are one of the bigger names in cricket these days, they've been around for years and years and built up a decent reputation. So I decided to try one of the new C6+ Newbery's mainly down to the Carbon Handle, which I wanted to try.
I ordered his bat a little heavier than most of my other bats, I usually go for 2lb 9 or 2lb 10, but got this one a few oz heavier, as the carbon handle is relatively light.
The bat is huge, 30mm edges, and features Newbery's 'fish fin' concaved profile.
The handle though is the main feature of this bat, there is a carbon rod, pushed through the handle, which is then surrounded by expanding foam. I thought these handle's where a gimmick after first reading about them, but when I recieved it I was pleasantly surprised, the handle offers much more 'flex' to the bat,when in your stance and pushing down you can feel the difference in flex, so if you like a stiff handle, then these bats are not for you ! I am actually a fan of this handle, I heard Newbery had a few problems with these handle's when they first released them, so I was sceptical as to whether my handle would make it through the season, but I found out that it was only the first batch of handle's which where faulty, and they're now all fine.

Now down to the bat, this bat doesn't have a great pick up, like some of my others, It tends to feel a little heavier than it is, due to the Carbon Handle being lighter than a standard cane one, this however hasn't been a problem, as I soon got used it. The bat has 10 grains, all of which are sapwood, with no blemishes on the face. Newbery seem to press there bats to perfection, and the ping on them is very, very good.

I rate Newbery bats very highly, due to the pressing, they 'go' from the start where as some brands take time to play in. If I was to get another one of these, I would get one a few oz's lighter in weight.


The customer service from Newbery was very good, they where a little slow to reply to the emails, but that's expected from such a big company. I spoke to on of the guys at the HQ in Hove, and he picked me out a bat, trying to match my description, and I recived the bat 2 days later, so was very pleased.
Reviewed by Aaron Jepson



No comments: