Saturday 6 October 2007

Newbery Uzi 20/20



Newbery Uzi 20/20
2lb 11oz
1" Longer handle
1" Shorter blade





Newbery Uzi 20/20 this bat is like Marmite, you either love it or you hate it, myself being the latter. The bat itself was very good, nice grains, great ping, the longer handle and shorter blade concept just ruins the bat for me.

When I picked the bat up in the shop, I thought it was fine and looked great cosmetically, plenty of grains, some being heartwood.


The first time I used it, the handle didn't prove to be a problem, but the more I used it, the more I grew to dislike it. Newbery claim that the handle and blade concept provides, a nice pick up, great power, more flex and allows for more wood for a huge profile. I didn't find any of this, the profile on mine was far from huge, the longer handle and shorter blade, ruined the pick up, and I didn't feel any more flex than on any other bat, except the C6+ Uzi.


But then again, I've spoken to people who absolutely love the concept, so don't let this review put you off, it's all down to personal preference, I just found that the longer handle, affected the timing of my shots, hindered the execution of some shots, and ruined the pick up, I think its one of those things that you have to try, to form an opinion on it.


I am a huge fan of Newbery bats, and when I did hit some shots right with this bat, they abolsutely flew, but I found playing some shots with this bat, where near enough impossible to play, due to the handle hindering the execution, and the fact that the blade is shorter, resulted in me hitting majority of my shots aerially, as I was plaing far to early. The bat was pressed to perfection though, which in my opinion is Newbery's speciality, they ping from the start.

Reviewed by Aaron Jepson

No comments: