Saturday 6 October 2007

Laver & Wood Carbo Heritage


Laver & Wood Carbo Heritage
2lb 7oz
SH
Carbon Handle

For a while now Laver and Wood have been regarded as a company making custom made bats of the highest quality. Having heard how many professional players were using Laver and Wood bats with their sponsorship stickers stuck over the top, I decided to go ahead and get in touch with James Laver about getting a bat made up.

James was easy to contact and answered my constant stream of questions regarding which bat would be right for me (you can request what ever shape, weight, handle shape, size, number of grains etc. that you want). In the end I opted for a Laver & Wood Carbo Heritage (which behind the Private Bin is Laver’s 2nd best standard bat willow), with a Carbo handle. I went for the carbon handle as I had broken 2 handles in the previous 12 months and was interested to see if the carbon handle was as beneficial as James had suggested. It is important to note that the handle is different to that in the Newbery C6+ in that it is merely a wooden handle with a carbon rod inserted down the centre to increase the strength and flexibility of the bat, rather than alter its pick-up or feel.

As Laver is located in New Zealand I had to wait for the bat to be made up and then posted across the world, but as the postage was free and the bat only took 2 weeks to turn up after being ordered I didn’t mind (James can also send pictures of your bat during the making process to reassure you everything is going to plan!).

The bat turned up as promised with a clean face, 7 grains and 2 grips, with a bonus grip chucked in for free. I was delighted with the light pick-up which I had specifically requested, and the bat weighed 2lb 7oz – 2lb 8oz with the extra grip. The bat has a lovely bow and although the edges are reasonably small (I expected this due to my requesting a light pick-up and overall light weight) at 25 mm, I couldn’t have been happier.

Half a season on and the bat is playing very well, although it did take a bit of time to become good, unlike some bats which usually ping from their date of purchase, these take time to play in. The Carbo handle is something which I like but is perhaps not suited to all players as it does produce a unusual sound and may make the bat feel a bit stiff, however I would definitely get the same handle again. The service was great all along and I would have no hesitation in recommending you check out Laver & Wood’s website http://www.laverwood.co.nz/ and get in touch with James if you are looking for a new bat.


Review courtesy of Gus Kennedy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post!!! Thanks for Sharing!!! Are you fed up from playing with same old type of non-customized Cricket Bat? Are you looking for customized Cricket Bats? It’s all available at just a click: Kashmir Willow Cricket Bat || Kashmir Willow Bats || kashmir willow bats price in india || buy kashmir willow cricket bats online || top 10 kashmir willow bats || cosco kashmir willow cricket bats || kashmir willow cricket bats manufacturers || cosco cricket bats || cosco bats || cosco bat